If you are thinking of becoming a tutor and applying to online English teaching jobs, this is the perfect time to do so! The COVID-19 pandemic has made learning over the internet widely popular, and teachers are seeing an increased demand for online teaching.
However, you need to make sure that you have the proper requirements needed for online English teaching jobs. Here are some requirements for teaching English online:
Essentials for Teaching English Online
- You should have access to a stable internet connection and a working laptop/cell phone. People applying for online English teaching jobs should also be tech-savvy. Since all classes are being held online, you should know your way around a computer or at least have the basic knowledge.
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred. It doesn’t have to be related to teaching or English, but a BA degree is a minimum qualification. In case you don’t have a BA degree, consider getting a TEFL qualification. There are many online programs that offer these certifications.
- Your communication and social skills should be excellent. If you fail to make an impression during the interview, it will be hard to secure the job.
- You should have in-depth knowledge of English. Even if you didn’t study the subject in college, you need to make sure that you do your research and learning before you apply. You should also familiarize yourself with the course structure, syllabus, and lesson plan.
- Your English speaking skills have to be fluent. This is one of the first things that the interviewer will observe about you. If you can’t speak the language with a flair or elegance, you may not be the best candidate for the particular job.
- You should be flexible enough to teach all age groups. Online English teaching jobs require tutors to be comfortable with teaching any age group, including young kids.
- You should be patient. Teaching online can be a frustrating process, but the teacher can never lose his/her temper. You need to make sure that you are calm and collected at all times and don’t snap at your students. Applying smart classroom management strategies would help.
- You should be accessible and available at all times. You may be hired by overseas organizations, so you need to make sure that you adjust your schedule according to the local time zone. Additionally, you should be accessible through messages or emails if the students need to contact you.
- You should have a passion for teaching. This is most important. If you are not passionate about teaching students, you won’t be able to teach effectively. As a tutor, you should also have a positive outlook on your work.
These were some of the basic requirements for online English teaching jobs. If you are looking for a smart online classes app where you can teach English online, you can try SuperTeacher. It has world-class tools to make teaching effective and interactive. At the same time, administrative tasks are automated so you can save time and focus only on teaching!